Please pay attention to some simple tips to help ensure that your home will be as you left it on your return.
- No matter excited you may be, don’t plaster your holiday itinerary all over social media! Be selective about who you share your plans with – one or two trusted friends or neighbours is sufficient.
- Use timers to switch on lights around the house at intervals during the evening – but not in hallways (nobody sits in the hall)
- If you are going to be away for a while, consider asking someone you trust to call in and open the curtains during daylight hours a few times during your absence. This will give the property a “lived in” appearance.
- Invite your neighbour to park in your driveway.
- Ask your neighbour to check and take in any post that may be visible from the outside through hall or porch windows.
- If you have an intruder alarm, make sure someone has a key and knows how to operate it. Let the local garda know their contact details – just in case.
For further tips on staying safe and secure while on holiday, click here to take a look at the Garda Personal Safety & Holiday Security Information Sheet